In January of 1950, the Stevenson Volunteer Fire Company (STVFC) was organized. In December of the same year, a committee of eight was appointed to meet and decide upon a purchase site for a proposed fire station. Plans then proceeded for a 30 x 40 foot structure. The building, of cinderblock and wood, was designed by Harold Smith, architect, of Newtown, and was planned so it could have an upper story in the future. The company started with one fire apparatus housed at that site; however, there was still room for one more. The original building had a kitchen in the rear, a boiler room, and two lavatories. Eventually, the station would house a tanker, a pumper, and two brush trucks.
According to an article written by Jean Loveland and printed in the May 13, 1951 Sunday Post, the residents of Stevenson were “putting themselves on the map.” A cottage fire the previous summer had spurred the people of Stevenson into purchasing a fire engine for protection of this remote section of Monroe.
In 1951, a 1930’s vintage American LaFrance pumper was purchased from the Bridgeport Fire Department, and Articles of Association were filed and accepted with the Office of the Secretary of the State of Connecticut. It was also at about this time that the construction of Station 1 was completed. In 1953, the company purchased a used Army surplus Sterling Chain drive engine.
From the mid-1950s until 1973, STVFC provided volunteer ambulance service to the Town of Monroe. On July 26, 1959, brush truck #47 (310) was purchased and dedicated in honor of Raymond Boaz, a deceased former president. In 1963, a new 750 GPM class I pumper (truck #45) build on a GMC chassis was purchased, and would later become known as the original Engine 301.
The first fire company in Fairfield County to have junior members, in 1964, Stevenson established a Junior Volunteer Firefighter Corps, consisting of 13 active members between the ages of 13 and 18. Three years later, in 1967, a 1500 gallon Chevy tanker was purchased (truck #46), later to be known as truck #315. In 1973, STVFC went on to acquire a new 4-wheel drive brush/forestry truck (#49). In the same year, Joyce Greenfield, the first active female junior firefighter in Fairfield County, joined the company. In May of the following year, 1974, the first active female senior firefighter in Fairfield County joined the company. In November, Joyce Greenfield became Stevenson’s second active female senior firefighter.
In 1976, STVFC purchased a 12-acre site on Monroe Turnpike for a second fire station. This would later be the location of Station 2.
1980 marks the 30th year of volunteer service to the community of Stevenson and the Town of Monroe. In the summer of 1983, an American LaFrance pumper (Engine #302) was purchased and put into service. Additionally aerial Truck #330 was purchased and subsequently refurbished. Later that year, Stevenson Station 2 was dedicated and fully operational.
In 1986, Brush Truck #314 was purchased. This Chevy pickup truck is still in service, but is now used as a utility truck. On July 21, 1988, a 2500-gallon Freightliner tanker was purchased. This 1000 GPM pumper is still in service as Tanker #316.
In 1989, Stevenson purchased a used 1985 Chevy Rescue Truck from Sandy Hook Fire Company. This truck is known as Rescue 320. The same year, Aerial Truck #330 was taken out of service. Additionally, STVFC won seven trophies in parades and a Driver Rodeo competition.
The following year marked the 40th anniversary of volunteer service to the community of Stevenson and the Town of Monroe. In May of 1990, the Dive Team was established, and on July 15th, 1990, the company acquired the Zodiac boat.
November 21, 1992 Stevenson hosted a horse trailer extrication drill in cooperation with Meadowbrook Farms of Newtown. The purpose of this drill was to train firefighters and other emergency response personnel in the proper procedure for handling an extrication involving livestock.
In February of 1993, a new Freightliner was delivered. This truck is known as Engine 301, and replaced the older GMC Engine #301. The Wet Down was held on Saturday, May 1, 1993.
In February of 1994, an Army surplus pickup truck was purchased. This diesel truck became Brush Truck #312.